Pages

Translate

Friday, August 14, 2026

Cancer

Friday, August 14, 2026



There are moments in life when a single sentence changes the way you look at everything.

For me, it was hearing…

“You have cancer.”

I still get a little choked up every time those words come back to me.

Every time I remember that day...that Tuesday morning.

That moment.
Those words.

It feels like my heart still needs a little more time to catch up with what my mind has already heard.

Even now, saying it out loud feels strange.

Cancer.

Even writing that word still feels strange.

I was shocked. Surprised. Confused. And honestly, there is still a part of me hoping that somehow, somewhere, there has been a mistake.

Because how can I have cancer?

I feel okay. I look so okay.



I am still laughing.
Still talking.
Still making plans.
Still asking my endless “what ifs.”
Still being me.

So how?

Why?

And why is this happening to me?

These are the questions that keep coming back.

There are moments when I want to believe it isn't real. Moments when I tell myself, No, I'm okay. I'm fine. This can't be happening.

Maybe that is my mind trying to protect my heart from something it wasn't prepared to hear.

I am slowly learning that acceptance doesn't happen in one moment.

It comes in little pieces.

One day, I can talk about it.
Another day, I don't want to hear the word.
One moment, I feel strong.
The next, I fall apart.

And perhaps that's okay.

I don't need to pretend that I am brave every single day.

I don't need to understand everything right now.

I don't even know what this journey will look like yet.

But I do know this:

I am here.

And while I don't have answers to the why and the how, I am learning to take one day at a time.

Some people may not know how to fix my pain. They may not have the right words, the perfect advice, or an answer to all my questions.

But some have simply stayed.

They checked on me.
They prayed for me.
They listened.
They sat with me in the uncertainty.
They made me laugh when I needed to forget for a moment.
They reminded me that I don't have to carry everything alone.

And sometimes, that is enough.

And if you ever stumble upon my page again and read the same sentence once… twice… and perhaps see the same word again and again.....

Cancer.

Please don't stop reading.

Instead, pause for a moment.

And be grateful.

Be grateful for the life you have.
For the healthy you.
For the body that allows you to wake up and move through another ordinary day.
For being alive.
For having this life.
For the things you often take for granted because they have always been there.

For not being sick.

Because when you suddenly find yourself sitting on the other side of health, you begin to see things differently.

The things you once thought were important can suddenly become so small.

And the simplest things become precious.

A good morning.
A good night's sleep.
A meal you can enjoy.
A walk outside.
A hug.
A conversation.
A laugh with someone you love.

Things that once felt ordinary suddenly feel like gifts.

Because, honestly, health is truly wealth.

We spend so much of our lives chasing money, success, possessions, plans and the next big thing.

But when your health becomes uncertain, you realise that being able to simply live your life is already a blessing.

So if you're reading this while you are healthy…

Please don't wait for something to remind you how precious that is.

Go live.

Love more.

Laugh more.

Call your people.

Take care of yourself.

Be grateful for your body.

Be grateful for today.

Because today, you are alive.

And sometimes, that is already everything.

As for me…

I don't know what this chapter will bring.

I am still trying to understand.
Still hoping.
Still afraid.
Still grateful.
Still believing.

But I am here.

And I will walk through this one day at a time.

Cancer may now be part of my story.
But it is not the whole story.

My story is still being written.

And I am still here.

No comments:

Polish-ed Ai © 2014